Thursday 9 June 2011

Thoughts at the end of General Assembly week

I have been trying to process some of my thoughts and feelings at the end of this week's General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. I think the best thing I can do is to state how I felt at different points and why.

On Tuesday I felt proud (in the right way I hope) to be associated with a Board of our Church (Youth and Children's) that was commended for its creativity, vision and inspiration. It has been a privilege to play a part in this board over the last seven years and it is a time which I will look back on with considerable fondness having stepped down as convener of the Resources Committee of the Board this week.

During the debate on the Presbyterian Mutual Society on Wednesday I felt grateful to God that he had brought our church through a crisis that could have so severely damaged our witness on this island. There are still lessons to be learned but there is much to be thankful to God for. Not least we Presbyterians should be thankful to God for providing us with a small group of committed and faithful people who have steered us carefully and sensitively through this difficult time.

That gratitude was replaced on the same afternoon with a feeling of real sadness as we discussed our church's response to the Church of Scotland's decison regarding the ordination of those involved in same sex relationships. I am in no doubt that the appeal which we made to the 'Kirk' to return to scriptural orthodoxy was absolutely right. I am sad that it was necessary. I firmly believe that this is not, at its heart, a matter to do with how we respond to homosexuality in the church, but rather it is about our attitude to the authority of Scripture over the church. I have said in other places that I would rather the battle over scriptural truth was being fought in another area but this is the area in which it has come to us and we must be prepared to take our stand on the life-giving word of God while still trying to work out how to reach out pastorally and missionally to those living with same-sex attraction.

I have also felt challenged this week as I have listened to that same life-giving word being preached by our moderator and three other ministers of our church. My vision of God has been enlarged. My confidence in God's infinite resources has been strengthened. My complacency when it comes to building relationships with those who are different from me has been confronted. I am grateful to all those who preached this week.
My final feeling at the end of this week is that the reformed, evangelical witness on display this week in the General Assembly can still be a real force for good and for God in this island. New challenges may face the church of the 21st century but new opportunities for mission and kingdom building are right here on our doorstep.

These are my thoughts. Those of you who weren't there or aren't Presbyterian might not be interested. Those of you who were there may have different thoughts but I hope that however you feel as you leave the assembly week behind you have a renewed confidence in the word as life for all who will hear and respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment